The Idiot Speaks

Thursday, April 29, 2004

It was my last day teaching at San Antonio College today. Teaching remedial students was an eye-opening experience. Most of my students were recent high school graduates, and many of them had children of their own. I can't imagine trying to raise a child, work, and attend classes at that age. They don't have the time to come to office hours for extra help, they miss class a great deal, and they're tired. Even with all the frustrations, teaching was by far the most satisfying work I've ever done. When I saw my students succeed, it made me feel like I've actually done something important.

After my last class, I had lunch with one my students who is a Vietnam Vet. This was the second class he took with me at SAC, and when I first saw him in my class, I felt a little uncomfortable about teaching a student considerably older than me. Imagine what he thought when he first saw me! We developed a friendship after I talked about my friend's brother who was killed in action in Iraq last year. He approached me and we started talking about Iraq, politics, and Vietnam. Interesting fellow.

I hope that I can someday return to teaching. On Monday I start my soul less computer job while we wait to hear from a couple more law schools. Fingers are still crossed for the big scholarship money to come through.

By the way, if you still haven't listened to the NPR special on Nelson Mandela, you're missing a great work. It's all online and the last part in the five part series is tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home