The Idiot Speaks

Friday, April 30, 2004

When I was in third grade my grandmother came to visit us from Iran. Overwhelmed with excitement, I informed my teacher of the visit. My teacher thought it would be a wonderful experience for the class if I asked my grandmother about her impressions when she first saw the Statue of Liberty when she arrived in the United States. Not realizing that my teacher thought immigrants and foreigners were still arriving in boats in New York harbor, I asked my grandmother about her impressions when she first saw the Statue of Liberty. Luckily, she had arrived via Newark airport and had seen Lady Liberty from the plane. My grandmother thought for a moment, and then replied, "I don't know, I didn't really think about it." I was rather disappointed by her response.

When I arrived to my classroom the next day, I wasn't particularly excited about reporting my findings to the class. I wanted to lie and give some inspirational anecdote, but I've never been a very good liar. My grandmother's response confused my teacher as much as it had me. She asked, "Is that all?!?". Yup, that's all.

Maybe my grandmother remembers this gentleman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home